Pesquisar este blog

quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2012

Kayak Lesson

A lot of people consider Washington a city with a huge amount of marble and government buildings with no natural life. But a short trip is enough to prove the region doesn't lack natural beauty. In Fort Washington, Maryland, there is a marina where kayak lessons are avaiable. I warn in advance that my first lesson was awkward.

It was a 40 minute drive on Indian Head Highway. In the marina, a guide explained how to paddle and what to do in case of emergency. My group consisted of six people. In minutes we headed to the river. The guide said that one of the boats was really fast, pro stuff. The problem: instability. He offered it to me and this genius here thought: why not?

The boat was really narrow and swayed a lot. I paddled a little bit to get used to it. When I was 20 meters from the docks, a violent wave hit my kayak. I tried to get balance, but it was useless. I had a flotation device, and I swim very well, but nothing prevented me from the 'fail internet video' sensation when I dropped into the river.

Actually, it was not that bad: the day was hot, and the water was warm. But c'mon: I had to drop into the river even before the last member of my group entered his boat? I swam back to the docks and asked for a more stable kayak. This is my face of shame in my new boat.


The new kayak was wider and ten times more stable. I had no problems from then on. I paddled in a creek tributary of the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia. A kayak is much faster than a regular boat. It gives you an incredible sensation of freedom and proximity to nature.


On the river banks, there were turtles, eagles, cranes and other animals one doesn't expect to find so close to the US capital. I entered a natural canal, formed by aquatic bushes. I paddled for hours and didn't feel sore or bored. I could have spent the whole day at that river.

If you want to experience this ride, this is the company responsible:


Atlantic Kayak Company 
13600 King Charles Terrace, Fort Washington, Maryland 20744   ( view map )
Phone :             301.292.6455       
http://www.atlantickayak.com    info@atlantickayak.com

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário